Monday, June 30, 2014

Jeweled (Book Review)

Title: Jeweled
Author: Tali Nay
Publisher: Corner Chapter Press
Source: From the author for review

Goodreads Summary:
Tali Nay first discovered gemstones while standing with her parents in a grocery store check-out line. The cheap display of birthstone keychains in front of her, each embedded with a single synthetic stone, was captivating. And the best part? Her own birthstone-the diamond-was the most beautiful of all. Since this childhood discovery, Tali's fondness for all things gem has only grown. From her beloved hometown jewelry store to her lifelong crush on Tiffany & Co., this sparkling memoir gives you a glimpse into an industry that touches us all, perhaps more often than we realize. Whether or not jewelry is your passion, you'll be entertained by Tali's stories of selling diamonds in small-town America, learn more than you ever wanted to know about the world of gems, and ultimately be inspired by her quest to pursue a dream.

Thoughts:

I have said this before and the same is true for this book, I love Tali Nay's writing style. She writes like I would talk to a friend. It isn't formal or always grammatically correct, but just how I would picture someone talking. And that makes it fun to read and keeps me moving through the book wanting to read more. Reading her books makes me want to get into reading and writing more myself.

As someone who has never been a jewelry person myself, I was a little worried that there wouldn't be much of interest for me in this memoir. And we obviously have some very different views on the subjects. (For example, I would like to add an additional category to the reasons women wear fake diamond rings - they can't afford a real one! Our budget for my engagement ring was a $25 Amazon gift card and even if we had money, I could never justify letting him spend anything like $239 on something as impractical as a piece of jewelry for me!) But this did not take away from my enjoyment of the book at all.

Her love for the subject and passion for diamonds really shines through. As a person with various obsessions of my own, it was very interesting reading an entire book devoted to hers. It is inspiring to read about someone turning their childhood passion into a career. And her storytelling makes it an incredibly enjoyable read for jewelry lovers and those just being introduced to the subject.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment