Friday, July 18, 2014

Book Beginnings and 56: Chasing Shackleton


Hosted by Rose City Reader

"I thought I knew Antarctica by now. I had been to its frozen alien shores, a world with no native human population, three times. I had become, to the extent one can, "used" to the highest, coldest windiest continent in the world with its extreme weather and the staggering, kilometers-thick mantle of ice that covers it."

Hosted by Freda's Voice

"More and more modern equipment now went into the boat, but none of it would give us an advantage over Shackleton - it would merely allow us to record the experience for Discovery Channel and the American PBS network. In fact, if anything, the equipment could be seen as a disadvantage, significantly reducing the space on board while increasing electrical hazards and fire risk."


12 comments:

  1. I haven't read a lot of travel literature, but I really like the sound of the Beginning and F56. I had to look up who Shackleton was though. I can imagine that were equipment can help it can also slow you down! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intriguing. I have read about the Shackleton expedition and think I would like this book too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's understandable. I can see where in this instance less is better than more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of the Shackleton expedition but don't know much about it. This book sounds like it would be a fascinating way to learn more.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: MURDER ON ASTOR PLACE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too chilly, I would never make it. I would like to read this one. Heard of Shackleton but know nothing about him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hardly ever read adventure memoirs, I like to watch and learn instead ha ha; I'll look into this documentary though! Thanks for sharing! :)

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really interesting! I love travel memoirs and this sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an exciting book!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the cover.

    I haven't read any books set in Antarctica. I don't Shackelton...will have to check it out. A person??

    Sounds so interesting. THANKS for sharing.

    ENJOY your reading weekend. Pouring down rain here so a good weekend to cozy up in a chair with a blanket.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant, I don't KNOW Shackelton. Brain going faster than fingers. :)

      Delete
    2. Shackleton was one of the first Antarctic explorers and this book is about a group of men re-creating one of this adventures.

      Delete
  10. Not my kind of read but this does sound promising. Thanks for sharing :)

    My BB and 56 :) 

    ReplyDelete