Friday, July 25, 2014

Peeps (Book Review)

Title: Peeps
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Penguin
Source: Library

Goodreads Summary:
 Last year as college freshman, narrator Cal was infected by exotic goth Morgan with a parasite that caused following girlfriends to become vampire-like ghouls he calls parasite-positives "Peeps". A carrier without symptoms, he hunts his progeny for the centuries old bureaucratic Night Watch. But victims are showing more sanity, pretty human Lacey is pushing his buttons, and her apartment building basement houses fierce hordes of ravening rats, red-eyed cats, and monstrous worms that threaten all. Morgan has the secret to a centuries-old conspiracy and upcoming battle to save the human race.

Thoughts:
I have loved everything I have read by Scott Westerfeld and this is no exception. I am usually so sick of the vampire/werewolf/zombie genre that if I had known that that's what this book is about, I'm not sure I would have picked it up, but I'm glad I did. It is such a refreshing twist on the vampire idea that I loved it.

I really enjoyed the science facts about parasites spread out through the book and how these were used to explain the disease. A bit of science always makes fantasy more interesting in my opinion and there were a lot of interesting facts in the books as well as a great story.

It was a quick read as I didn't want to put it down after I picked it up and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good twist on the young-adult vampire tale.

Rating: 4.5/5 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment