Friday, July 25, 2014

Book Beginnings and 56: Crank

Hosted by Rose City Reader

"Life was good
before I
met                    
                        the monster.

After,
life
                       was great.

At
least
                      for a little while."

Hosted by Freda's Voice

And it occurred to me                 for one uneasy moment
that every move I had            made lately might have
started a landslide.

What if I couldn't go back?                  What if I died in the crash?

Almost immediately,                   the monster soothed
       me, confused me          with a deeper question.
What if the ride was worth it?

I mean, who wants to                  trudge through life, doing
everything just right?        Taking no chances means
wasting your dreams.

How can I explain the                  pure chilling rush of
waiting to do something        so basically not right?
No fear. No guilt.

How can I explain                  purposely setting foot on
a path so blatantly         treacherous? Was the
fun in the fall?"

(56% or page 300-301 of Crank. I tried to make the editing look the same, I'm sorry if its not perfect.)

8 comments:

  1. I'm shocked. I like the words on the Friday 56 page. The way they are written is really a fun idea for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely zeros in on the issues, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “EVERYWHERE THAT MARY WENT”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful words and an interesting way of editing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very different. I'm curious about where this story goes from here. However, if 56% is at page 300, this is one heck of a long book!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: REMIX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is an interesting beginning. I like how the words are set up.

    I hope it is clever and interesting as the words are.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very intriguing method of layout for the book. I'm really curious about the monster...

    I've been away from the meme for a while, but trying to get back in the swing of things. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is crazy popular in my library even several years after it was published. Apparently it is semi-autobiographical.Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird edits, but still I wanna check it out.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete