Friday, July 4, 2014

Book Beginnings and 56: A Thousand Splendid Suns



Hosted by Rose City Reader

"Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the harami.
It happened on a Thursday. It must have, because Mariam remembered that she had been restless and preoccupied that day, the way she was only on Thursdays, the day when Jalil visited her at kolba. To pass the time until the moment that she would see him at last, crossing the knee-high grass in the clearing and waving, Mariam had climbed a chair and taken down her mother's Chinese tea set. The tea set was the sole relic that Mariam's mother, Nana, had of her own mother, who had died when Nana was two. Nana cherished each blue-and-white porcelain piece, the graceful curve of the pot's spout, the hand-painted finches and chrysanthemums, the dragons on the sugar bowl, meant to ward off evil.
It was this last piece that slipped from Mariam's fingers, that fell to the wooden floorboards of the kolba and shattered."

Hosted by Freda's Voice

"The first few days, Mariam hardly left her room. She was awakened every dawn for prayer by the distant cry of azan, after which she crawled back into bed."


10 comments:

  1. I certainly hope life isn't always that bleak for Mariam. Love the name of your blog! Makes a person think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emotionally bereft and sad. Maybe Jalil will help her?
    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/07/04/the-friday-56-26-wherewolves-no-i-didnt-spell-it-wrong/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kite Runner is on my list of books to read one day. I like the writing in the excerpts. Nice and stark but still paint a clear picture. I do hope things improve for poor Mariam. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds sad, but good! Thanks for sharing! Here is my book beginning at Shut Up & Read

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent opening! Now I can see why people rave about this book. It just moved higher on my TBR list.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is one I have to read. It is good to read the bits you shared, shows me how good the writing will be.
    Check out my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner. Loved both books. My favorite is A Thousand Splendid Suns. Maybe because it's so much in there about the women. I haven't read his third book. I wonder if it's good too. Thanks for the 56.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want to read this book. OMG.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read The Kite Runner and this book. It is really amazing.

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete